This site is intended to support people wishing to create a SDSS-III Catalog Archive Server mirror site. If you wish to host an SDSS-II mirror, please use the SDSS-II mirrors link.
In order to create a mirror site, you need to perform the following steps:
- Purchase the webserver (Windows .NET Server 2008) and DB server hardware that meets the space
and performance requirements for the SDSS dataset that you want to mirror. See the Hardware page for more information.
- Purchase or obtain a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 licence. See the SQL Server page for more information.
- Install SQL Server 2008 along with the recommended service packs on the DB server.
- Download the data for the SDSS dataset that you have chosen (this is in the form of SQL Server database files).
The main SDSS databases and some smaller subsets are available on the SDSS-III CAS DB Download page (see DB Download link in the left menu).
- Download the SDSS-III SkyServer web site to the webserver and install the SkyServer Web Interface to the Catalog Archive Server.